Friday, December 30, 2016

Anika's Birth Story - Part 1

August 10, 2016 - It seemed like just another day except that it was not. 

My expected date of delivery was August 17. But I was secretly hoping it gets pushed to August 23. Just for one reason that she will be a Virgo. Husband and I are both Virgos and as if two Virgos were just not enough, I wanted a full house.But as time went by, I knew that is not going to happen. But then I kept telling my mom she will be born either on August 9 or August 11. Don't ask me how!

The day started just like any other day - breakfast, lunch and the usual. Let me recollect every minute detail of the day as much as I can however mundane it might sound.

4.00 PM - I prepared noodles for the husband and was casually joking that if my labor starts that day, he should be prepared to hear that I made him noodles even few hours before the pain for the rest of his life.

5.00 PM - Amma and I went for a nice long evening walk like we always do. We met one of our friends on the way and had a quick chat. While returning back home, I could feel mild contractions.Slowly, it started getting stronger that I was unable to continue walking without taking a break every now and then. My mom literally freaked out. 

6.00 PM - We got back home and I reached out to my doctor just to let her know of the situation. I was asked to time the contractions and rush to hospital if I feel the need. Husband had a planned guys' night at his friend's place right across the street which he was about to cancel. I asked him to carry on with his plans as my contractions was not regular but to make sure he is reachable. He agreed and left home only to come back in a minute saying he didn't have the heart to go. Awww! LOL !

7.00 PM - Contractions got more intense and husband started timing it. They were only 15 minutes apart. I have this weird tendency to talk fast, laugh and make absolutely no sense right before I get fever or fall sick. (I do it all the time but it is relatively more right before I fall sick) Apparently, I was doing that then. My husband knew that was it and rushed to figure out the baby car seat that I have been asking him to do for weeks.

8.00 PM - Stronger contractions 10 minutes apart. All I asked my husband and mom to do was keep talking to me casually the whole time and even gave them the rights to crack the stupid(est) of jokes. As lame as it sounds, talking keeps me sane and gives me energy. 

9.30 PM - Hospital bag moved to car, baby car seat fixed, took a minute to offer prayer and we were all ready to go to hospital anytime from then.

10.15 PM - We decided to go to the hospital as contractions were now 5 minutes apart and pretty intense. The hospital we chose was not so close and had it been during rush hours, it would have taken us forever to reach. So "Thanks A for timing it so well". We continued to talk, joke and laugh on our way with me taking a break to moan in pain every 5 minutes. 

10.45 PM Reached hospital. Husband dropped me and my mom at the entrance and went ahead to park while we were filling forms and checking in. And this is when $h!* got real and hell broke loose. 

 **** To be continued ****

5 comments:

  1. Very well articulated ranju..I was able to visualise every bit of it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2 please!! Even though I know every bit of it, I can't wait to read part 2 of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part 2 please!! Even though I know every bit of it, I can't wait to read part 2 of this! :)

    ReplyDelete